Our telephones are very busy in the early morning.
Please call for for test results (eg blood, urine, x-ray) after 11.00am each day.
To ensure confidentiality, we only release results to the patient, unless alternative arrangements have been agreed in writing.
When will my results come back?
Most routine blood test will take 72hrs. The following Blood tests will take longer:
- Diabetes blood test (Hba1c) – 1 week
- Rheumatoid Arthritis blood test – 1 week
- Coeliac blood test (endomyssial antibody) – 2 weeks
- Vitamin D blood test – 3 weeks
Other tests will take:
- Chest x-ray – 10 days
- Ultrasound scan – 10 days
- Helicobacter breath test – 1 week
- Urine sample – 1 week
- Sputum sample – 1 week
- Stool sample – 1 week
- Skin scraping – Up to 3 months
- Nail clippings – Up to 3 months
- Vaginal swab test – Up to 2 week
- Smear test – Up to 2 weeks
- 24-hour Blood Pressure monitor – 3 days
- Home Blood pressure – 3 days
Why have I been asked to have a repeat test?
If a doctor asks you to have a repeat test it is usually because:
- The result was borderline or equivocal – so the doctor wants another sample to monitor the situation or to re-check
- The result is abnormal – and the doctor is unable to interpret the result without further tests so has asked you to come in for more test.
Please do not worry if the doctor has asked you for a repeat test, if there is a serious problem then the Doctor will speak or request to see you directly.